Saturday, January 2, 2010

2010- My Resolution to Blog

After spending the last year reading other people's blogs and finding them inspiring, I decided it was time to start my own! I was using Runner's World log to track my workouts but it wasn't quite the same.

I started doing Triathlon 2 years ago, in 2008, with my first race at the Strathmore Women's Triathlon. My hubby had done a sprint triathlon the year before after sort of falling into a triathlon training group at the YMCA. After seeing him do the Vulcan Triathlon I knew that I could also do it- I just had to learn how to swim, bike and run!!

I had never been particularly athletic- didn't participate in sports growing up, no gymnastics, soccer, dance or anything. The only thing I had done in my teens was ride horses. I had no idea how to "train" my body to do something.

So in January 2008 I decided that I was going to train for a triathlon. I liked the idea of a women's only triathlon so I knew that Strathmore was the race for me, and it gave me 8 months to train since it was held in August.

I signed up for a triathlon swimming class at the YMCA that was twice a week. I also joined a Learn to Run clinic at the Running Room. As for the bike, I bought a cyclocross (pretty much a road bike with more clearance for knobby tires) off ebay and went for rides in Fish Creek Park. My training was pretty basic but I had pretty low expectations. I couldn't even do front crawl at my first swimming class! I hadn't been on a bike in years, and the 12 minute run in highschool was brutal!! I was determined to do this though!!

My first triathlon was an amazing experience. There were lots of first-timers like myself, as well as many seasoned runners/triathletes. My sister and her family came out to cheer me on. The swim went relatively well, the bike would have been good had I not had a mechanical malfunction (my brake rubbed on my tire for the 1st 10 km which slowed me down!), and the run was well... running! Overall I was pretty happy with myself and knew that I wanted to do it again!!

For the 2009 race season I knew I would need more training- so hubby and I joined the University of Calgary Triathlon Club (UCTC). It is a great atmosphere with all sorts of experience levels of members. We trained about 4-5 days a week and we both improved greatly from the previous year. We both did the Tri-This-Try in May, and the Vulcan Triathlon in June. Only hubby ended up doing the Foothills Charity Triathlon in Okotoks because I got sick a week before the race and was still not feeling well enough to race. I did the Strathmore Women's Triathlon for the 2nd time and I was about 13 minutes faster than the previous year!

I definitely need to work on my running so this winter that is what I am focusing on. We ran a 5km race in November- Jingle Bell Run, so that kept my motivation up in the fall. Once Daylight Savings Time kicked in, I didn't run much due to it never being light outside! Thankfully Santa brought me a treadmill for Christmas so I will have no excuse to not run now!!

That brings us to the present- hubby and I are signed up the UCTC again which starts January 11th. Hubby has signed up for Calgary 70.3 (Half Ironman) and I am strongly considering signing up. That means lots of training for 2010!!
My cheering section from my 1st Triathlon, 2008.

3 comments:

  1. Great first post! Welcome to the blogosphere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the weird and wacky world of blogging. I hope it's fun for you.

    The 70.3 is a great race, and hopefully they'll have some of the first race organizational kinks taken care of.

    Let me know if you're coming down to run in West Glenmore to see the course; that's not far from my place.

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the new blog! Looks like you've got lots of exciting things in store for 2010.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!