Sunday, February 7, 2010

Races for 2010... so far

There are lots of races out there that I would love to do but of course time, money and travel constraints prevent me from doing them all!
I knew signing up for some races would give me a goal to works towards so I committed to a couple with the hopes that I can squeeze in a few more once I know my availability. With a couple weddings to attend this year, family reunions and vacations, our summer is starting to get booked already!!


Race #1- Wasa Lake Triathlon, June 13, 2010- Olympic distance



We have some good friends who have a cabin on Wasa Lake that we have had the good fortune of visiting a few times. We really wanted to do this race last year but hubby was travelling for work that weekend so we weren't able to. It is one of the goal races for our triathlon club, UCTC, so there will be lots of people there that we know. Plus Dr. Dan and his wife will be making the trek to Wasa for the race. We hope to make it a mini vacation and spend a couple extra days relaxing by the lake. This will be my first Olympic race.

Race #2- Strathmore Women's Triathlon, August 15, 2010- Sprint distance


This will be my 3rd year doing the race. It was my first triathlon in 2008. This is a great race for the beginner, and I look forward to doing it to see how much I have progressed over the years. In 2009, I was about 13 minutes faster than my 2008 time. I hope to be at least that much faster than 2009 this year! My sister and her family live out in Strathmore so they cheer me on every year. The race volunteers are great and it is super organized. They cap the number of participants to 300 women so it is pretty small.
Tentative Races
K-100, June 19, 2010- My work is trying to arrange a team for the Kananaskis 100 Mile Relay Race. There are 10 legs of the race, and each portion is different. They vary in distance and difficulty. The race goes from Longview, Alberta and ends at Nakiska. Both hubby and I are interested in doing it so hopefully we can get a team together.
Calgary 70.3, August 1, 2010- I am still deciding on whether or not I want to do this race. I am mostly worried about the half marathon since running is my weakest of the three sports. I know I could do it if I trained hard- I just need to decide if I want triathlon training to consume my life entirely for the next 7 months!! I have to decide quickly!
Canmore Triathlon or Duathlon, July 4th- I think what is holding me back on signing up for one of these races is the fact that all my races would be concentrated in less than a month. Not sure if that would be good or bad!! Plus if I do decide to do the 70.3 I think it would be too much.
Melissa's Road Race, September 25th- hubby and some friends did this race in 2009 and I wanted to do it with them however I had other volunteer commitments that day. I hope we can make ourselves available this year- we do have an invitation to visit some friends in San Francisco though. I have never been there before, but I would really love to do this race!! So torn! Maybe we will just sign up and if we decide to go to San Fran, we will sell our bibs (if that is even allowed!).
Other- There are a couple other road races I am interested in racing, but it will all depend on if I am even in town or available that weekend! I would like to do a race or two earlier in the year- April/May.
For workouts, I ran 45 minutes on the treadmill yesterday. My legs felt quite sore after but it didn't last long. This is my last week to get in some quality workouts before my surgery on Thursday. I hope I don't have to take that much time off.








4 comments:

  1. Wasa is so much fun! I decided to stay in town this year though and do the Chinook Olympic instead.

    Yes, you can definitely sell your bibs for Melissa's. The Calgary Roadrunners website is probably the best place as tons of folks will be looking to buy bibs. Then there is a period of a couple of days where folks can change their names so they will get the results officially credited to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Nicole,

    Sounds like you are going to be crazy busy this summer - my goal of running a 5km is not off to a good start :-( only managed to run once in the last week and a day.
    I do have spin class tomorrow - so that will at least help a bit. I got running intervals off of iTunes (PodRunner) - maybe I should take your lead and actually sign up for a race to help motivate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Leana- good to know about Melissa's!

    Kat- sign up for something. It definitely motivates you!! I will have to check out those running intervals- I had to erase my Ipod the other day so all my old music is gone. Some of it wasn't so great though!

    Jarrett- still debating...

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!