Sunday, May 9, 2010

Long Run at Edworthy Park

Happy Mothers Day to all the moms out there. Today we had my mom and step dad over for brunch. It was nice to see them as I feel like I don't get to see them very often anymore.

Hubby was busy moving the 3 truck loads of compost from the front yard to the backyard this morning before my parents came over. And it was snowing...

We made plans with some friends to go for a 10k run at Edworthy Park. They live in the deep south and we live in the far north so Edworthy was kinda in the middle. The pathways take you to downtown and also through some woodsy areas so it was a nice change from the usually neighborhood runs. As soon as our brunch guests left we zoomed off to meet our friends. I had a hard time deciding what to wear because it had been snowing here earlier and the weather forecast was 4 C. I decided to wear long tights, tank top, long sleeve technical shirt, and a windbreaker. Of course by the time we got to the park it was 10 C and the sun was shining. About 3k in I was boiling and had to take my windbreaker off. Next time I think it would be better to wear a short sleeve shirt under the windbreaker so that if I get too warm I am still wearing sleeves. A bit of a clothing fail.

The run was great! I took it pretty easy in the beginning because it was my first 10k in awhile and I didn't want to start too quickly. Luckily our friends were recovering from their own Saturday night self-inflicted pain so they didn't have a problem going slow. I was feeling great around 6k and even mentioned to my friend that I didn't feel sore or tired at all. Of course as soon as those words came out of my mouth my legs instantly started to feel sore!
The last km back to the car was a little painful but there were lots of other people and dogs on the pathway to keep my mind off my aching legs. I kept reminding myself that the faster I run, the closer the car is. The run took about 1:17 hours. That's about what I expected. I  hope to get that time down closer to 1:05 or less by the end of the summer!

After 10 minutes of stretching we parted ways and hurried home to get ready to go back to the in-laws for Mothers Day dinner.

The weekend went by very quickly but I am happy that I got all my planned workouts in and they went well!! Tomorrow we have to hit the pool!! I don't want to but I NEED to. It's not gonna be pretty but I want to be somewhat prepared for the race.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments!