Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Canmore Rocky Mountain Half Marathon Race Report

To say I was a little nervous Sunday morning would be understated!! First I dreamed all night that I was late for the start of the race, the aid station at the 1st km was a sit down meal with not-so-healthy food, I couldn't find the Rip N Race bags to toss my dress coat that I was wearing, and we ended up in Paris... WEIRD!!!

We woke up at 7am and had plenty of time to eat breakfast and get ready. I am never hungry before a race because I usually have butterflies in my tummy! I forced myself to eat some scrambled eggs, turkey bacon and yogurt.
Leaving for the race!
We headed to the park where the race was starting around 8:30am. The half marathon started at 9:15am. We parked and decided that we were going to bring a bag with our warmer clothes since we would have to stand around for a little while before the race started.
Just as we were about to walk to the race start I realized that I had my fuel belt, but I left all my water bottles in the fridge at the condo!! We had a bit of time before the race started so we raced back to the condo. That sure got my heart racing!
We finally arrived at the park with about 10 minutes to spare. We rushed to the port-a-potties and then off to the start line. It ended up being perfect because we didn't have to stand around at all. Once I got to the starting line I wasn't nervous anymore. I was here and I was doing this!!

At exactly 9:15am, the gun went off and the race started!

I knew I needed to start slowly so I wouldn't burn out. Lots of people passed me but I held my pace. I set my VP at 7:10 and I programmed my watch for 10 and 1s. It felt really weird to start walking only 10 minutes into the race, especially when almost everyone else around me was running. I was warming up quickly and was looking forward to ditching my jacket at 4k. We paid $5 each to be able to drop our jackets off at the Rip N Race bags at 4km. Best idea ever!! I hate being too warm while running, but when I wear a fuel belt there is no way I can tie anything around my waist. I always hear about races where people ditch old sweatshirts a few km into the race but I don't really have any sweaters like that.

I felt really good the entire race. I started eating my GU Chomps about 45 minutes into the race (~6k). I will admit that I started to freak out when I realized that the kilometer markers on the course were way off compared to my Garmin. It stared out as being 0.5km off, but by 9km it was off by 0.88km, and at 19k it was off by a whole km!! Turns out the markers were just off, my watch was right and the 20k marker was in the right spot! I was really worried that I was going to run 23km and not 21.1!!!

The hills started around 11km and continued up and down until about 17km. They weren't too bad- most of them were pretty short. I am glad that I did some hill training though as a lot of people walked the hills! I was able to run most of them except a few on the way back I walked up.

By about 19km (according to my watch) I just wanted to finish the race! I picked up the pace and kept telling myself "the faster you run, the faster you will be finished!" When I finally rounded the corner and saw the Finish line I almost cried with relief! I had pretty much stopped looking at my watch because I knew I wasn't going to finish under 2:30 and I was feeling discouraged by the km markers.

As I got closer to the Finish line I started passing people and then I heard the cowbell!! Hubby bought a cowbell for my very first triathlon and it has made an appearance at almost all my races! I saw him as I got closer and then I started to sprint.
Sprinting (in grey)

Almost done!

Finally I reached the Finish line!! I was done!


Chip Time- 2:32:44
Gun Time- 2:33:25
Average Pace- 7:15

Course Map

Post- Race
I stopped my watch as soon as I crossed over and was pleasantly surprised to see I wasn't too far off my first goal. For my first race and a hilly course I am happy. Other than being annoyed at how inaccurate the km markers were, I think this race was very well organized and the course was beautiful. I will definitely do this race again.

Once hubby caught up with me we went inside to grab some food. I didn't feel too hungry so I just had a plum and a cookie. We went back outside to grab our jackets from Rip N Race and sat down to stretch.
Half Marathoner!
We didn't stay for all the awards because we were starting to feel chilly in our sweaty clothes and we wanted some real food. By this time it was close to 1pm so we headed to Quarry on Main Street for lunch. Very good food- I will definitely go to this restaurant again. Excellent atmosphere, great service and fab food!

After lunch we headed back to the condo for our ice cold baths!! I have never had one before but hubby (and others) swear by them. I filled the tub, wore my new race toque, and shirt and slipped into the freezing water!! The first 30 seconds are so cold and shocking but then it starts to feel great on the sore muscles. I am a fan!!

After relaxing for a couple hours we headed back home. What an amazing weekend!!

  • I am a little (ok- a lot) disappointed that there were no finisher medals- I want some bling!!
  • I love this course and I hope to do this race (any distance) again
  • I am not putting my water bottles in the fridge anymore!
  • I kinda like the half marathon distance! I think only 2-3 HM races a year is realistic for me though
  • My hubby rocked the HM race in 1:53!! He's kinda fast! Thanks for supporting me honey!


  1. Congrats!!!! :) Sounds like it was a great race and you ran well.

  2. Congrats! I would be disappointed at the lack of finisher's medal as well. I don't expect it for a 5 or 10K, but for a half marathon, you really should get one.


I love reading your comments!