Tuesday, January 1, 2013

~Happy New Year & No-Spend January~

Happppy New Year!!

2012 sure flew by! Hands down, one of the best years of my life. Not sure if 2013 can come close to topping the awesomeness of last year.

Being true parents, we rang in the New Year pretty low-key. Gone are the crazy parties, fancy outfits and horrid hangovers. Nope-- we stayed in, watched a movie, and cracked open some champagne we found tucked in the back of the liquor cabinet. We did make it to midnight. Guess we learned how to deal with sleep deprivation in the last year!

Yes, that is a magnum of Baby Duck!
Desperate times call for desperate measures!
It's only been in our liquor cabinet for-- 5 years?

Toasting to 2013
(I didn't know BD was red!) 

*******

No- Spend January

I've heard of this a few times in the blog world and I decided to take the plunge and implement this for January. One of my goals this year (which I hope to post about soon) is to enjoy what I have and spend less money on things I don't really need. I want to simplify my life-- de-clutter it.

I'm sure there are various degrees that you can implement this but I have decided to set some parameters for myself so that 1) I am successful and 2) I don't feel deprived. Spending is like a diet. If I don't allow myself a treat, or be realistic about my expectations then I will binge and that defeats the whole purpose.

Rules

1) No eating out-- this isn't really a huge issue for me since I am not a big fast food eater and I've really started to dislike how much money it costs to get so-so food when my amazing hubby can cook us a meal that is far superior. Plus, it will help keep us on track with planning meals and for me to practice cooking.
Exceptions-- I have a dinner with some friends this week that we planned a few weeks ago. I can't exactly cancel because of this so this is my pass.
Also, I will allow myself to go to Tim Horton's (coffee shop) with our running group after our runs (probably only ends up being a couple times a month anyway). This is more so I can socialize & warm up after a long run.
Thirdly, we also promised our friends we would go see Les Miserables with them.
Lastly, if we are using a gift card then it's ok. We have some restaurant gift cards so if we are desperate we can use those.

2) No shopping for unnecessary items-- no clothes, accessories, toys, gadgets, home decor items, crafting supplies, etc. I've unsubscribed to all the daily emails I get for deals so that I am not tempted. Online shopping has been my friend this past year-- I've bought lots of great baby stuff,  things for myself and gifts. Audrey and I will not go naked if I don't buy anything this month. I have plenty of projects to keep me busy.
Exceptions-- if something essential breaks then I can buy a replacement. Can't think of what this might be but just putting it out there. Also using a gift card is acceptable.
I'm also allowing myself to buy the supplies for one project. I posted a few months ago about the dining room hutch from my Mom that I wanted to refinish. I really want to get this done before I go back to work. I haven't even priced out how much it will cost for the paint but hubby's best friend offered to help me spray paint it with a professional air gun (he's a contractor) so I think I will take him up on that offer. I'm hoping it won't cost too much!

3) Entertainment budget is $0-- we have to find ways to keep ourselves entertained for zilch. I think this will be fun. Today we went for a nice walk at a nearby park. We brought our own hot chocolate. I'll be looking for more free entertainment in our city and surrounding area. Ideas are welcome!
Exceptions-- using a gift card is acceptable.

So that's my challenge for this month. I know I can do it. I just need to resist the temptation of instant gratification and learn to live with less. Wish me luck!! Please help me stay accountable!


2 comments:

  1. I didnt know Baby Duck was red either! Weird!

    Sounds like a good challenge. I should try sometime...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like the PERFECT NYE, ours was similar, super low key! Good luck with your no spending January!! I am not buying stuff for myself or the house!! Keep us posted how it goes!!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!