Wednesday, January 16, 2013

~What I've been Cooking~

Roast chicken- both crockpot and in oven
Before and After roasting in the oven
We usually buy 3 whole chickens at Costco. I love whole chickens because you can make a few meals out of them-- we love leftovers at our house!

The above photos are from a Jamie Oliver roasted chicken recipe from his Food Revolution cookbook. This is a great cookbook if you are new to cooking-- like me, or even if you just want some good, basic recipes that are very tasty and affordable.

Verdict?
Hubby- delicious but maybe could have used a bit more seasoning
Me- Good but some of the veggies were still a bit hard. Probably would cut them up smaller next time.
Baby friendly dish.

I actually preferred when I made the whole chicken in the crockpot- the meal just fell off the bone and was so juicy. Hubby on the other hand prefers it to be roasted in the oven or on the BBQ. I think we will make it in the crockpot occasionally since it is super easy to do and nice to have dinner ready when you get home from work.


BLT Lettuce Wrap

Ridiculously easy and fast to make. Eating them can be a bit challenging since the lettuce will probably crack in your hands and juices will run down your arm. Not a first date food!

Verdict?
Hubby- Very good!
Me- Other than the lettuce cracking and making a mess, these are soooo good and easy. Will definitely have these again. Not so great for the baby to eat though so the downside was that I had to make something else for her.


Crock Pot Beef Carnitas

Yum!
I love my crockpot! It makes food prep so easy! As long as I remember to take the meat out of the freezer the day before...

We used flour tortillas instead of corn like the recipe called for since last week we had corn tortillas and they were awful. Just fell apart and were kinda gross tasting!

Verdict?
Hubby- Amazing! These have to be added to the meal planning rotation!
Me- So good! Love how easy they were to make yet very healthy and affordable. Somewhat baby friendly dish.

Sesame Ginger Sweet Teriyaki Salmon with Garlic Quinoa
Mmm delicious!
I changed this recipe a bit since we didn't have any teriyaki. Instead I used soy sauce. I also used less sugar in the marinade.

Verdict?
Hubby- Yum! Very good!
Me- So good! Would definitely make this again! Not a baby friendly dish (for a couple more months) because of the honey in the salmon marinade. The veggies and quinoa are fine for her though.

Will definitely make this again!

Zucchini and carrot muffins
Fresh out of the oven
I decided to make these muffins since we had some frozen shredded zucchini in the freezer from hubby's big zucchini crop in the summer. I also wanted a muffin that was a bit healthier than the average muffin for myself and the baby.

I added dried cranberries for the dried fruit.

Verdict?
Hubby- Pretty good. Very dense but tasty considering how healthy they are
Me- Not bad. Makes me feel better about eating muffins!
Audrey- Mmmmm mmmmm mmmmm mmmm

I would make these again. They are definitely not cake muffins. I don't crave them the way I do with other muffins. They are great for on-the-run.

No Bake Energy Bites
So addicting!
I've made these before and I will make them again!
I kinda messed them up this time though. I put too much dry ingredients so they didn't stick together that well. I think the honey needs to be liquified first to help everything stay together. I ended up using the leftovers that wouldn't stick together as granola in my yogurt for breakfast. Not wasting any goodness!


Verdict?
Hubby- Good except a bit crumbly
Me- Best thing I've ever tasted, except a bit crumbly!

So that's what I've been up to! I'm a regular ol' Suzie Homemaker now!

2 comments:

  1. Love this post! :) Look at you go! Will have to give some of those a try. We loved the blt wraps too. I can eat ALL those energy balls!! SO good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look delicious! I'm glad you posted links, because I want to try a couple of them.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!