Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Run for L'Arche: Training Recap #5 & Running on the Treadmill



Monday 11th: Rest day. Still recovering from my half and we were also out of town for hubby's Grandpa's funeral so there would have been no time for a workout anyway.

Tuesday 12th: 3K treadmill run. We got back into town in the late afternoon and I didn't make it to my running clinic. I almost bailed on this run but I dug up some energy and did it anyway after Audrey went to bed.

Wednesday 13th: I met my friend Kim and her little boy D for a 5.5K run/walk at Glenmore Reservoir. She's getting back into running and it's always nice to run with a friend. We had a well deserved lunch afterwards from pushing those babies in the Chariots.

First time wearing the new shoes outside

Thursday 14th: 30 Day Shred Level 2.

Friday 15th: 30 Day Shred Level 2.

Saturday 16th: 30 Day Shred Level 2.

Sunday 17th: Rest. We had a birthday brunch with our friends from our prenatal classes which interfered with our Sunday run club :( The brunch was delicious and lots of fun to see how much our girls have grown but I missed an entire week of running with the group.

Monday 18th: Family Day! So we did what we often do as a family- run together. It wasn't quite the 12K I had scheduled, but 5.5K is better than nothing! It was quite windy and cold out- I really wanted to trade spots with Audrey.

Bundled up for a run with Mom & Dad


*****

Running on the Treadmill

I have been running on the treadmill A LOT lately. Most days I still would prefer to run outside but I've come to tolerate and almost enjoy my runs on the treadmill.

I bought my treadmill about 3 years ago when we first moved to our house. Since we moved to the other end of the city from my gym, I cancelled my membership there. I really hadn't been going much anyway since I started running and doing triathlons.

When I first started training for triathlons 5 years ago, I would always take the winter off. I would go to the gym to lift weights or do the Ripped workout class but I inevitably would fall off the bandwagon and had a hard time staying motivated without a goal, i.e. a race.

So the fall we moved into our house, I knew that I wanted to keep up running & training for triathlons in the winter so a treadmill seemed like a good idea. We set up a small workout area in our unfinished basement. The problem was that I didn't really like running on the treadmill! I would rather spin on my bike or do a Ripped DVD workout than pound out some miles on the dreadmill.

A few months later I had the urge to cross off "Run a Half Marathon" off my bucket list. I knew it wasn't something I could do by myself so I found an amazing running group and I've crossed that off my list 6 times now!

Pre-baby, most of my half marathon & other training runs were done outside; mostly with my running buddies, but occasionally by myself when life got in the way. I did the occasional run on the treadmill when the weather was horrible, or if I missed a really long run with the group that I didn't want to suffer outside by myself.

All that changed once Audrey was born. My first post-partum runs were on the treadmill. Once spring hit and I was ready to start training for another half, I brought Audrey along in the Chariot for most of my runs, with either myself or hubby pushing her along for the ride.

However, in the early fall, Audrey decided she no longer wanted to run in the evening with me. It was getting too close to her bedtime. She even protested during daytime runs. She wouldn't fall asleep in the Chariot the way she would when she was younger. Add the fact that hubby has an unpredictable work schedule so wasn't always at home in the evening to take over childcare duties while I went running.

So I dusted off the treadmill and started doing more of my runs on it. At first it sucked! I missed the company of my friends, the fresh air, and the scenery. It was a means to an end though-- I needed it to get my training in.



I had to find other ways to keep myself occupied while running anywhere from 3K to 16K on the treadmill- watching countless episodes of How I Met Your Mother, watching movies during the long runs, reading magazines, or reading blogs on my iPhone.

Now I come to look forward to my treadmill runs. It's super easy to get the short runs in while Audrey naps; I don't have to dress in a million layers to brave the cold and I don't have to push the Chariot!



The treadmill will never replace running outside for me- even in the winter, but for a busy mom who wants to get her runs in, it is a lifesaver!



3 comments:

  1. I'm not a fan of the 'mill. I don't run well enough, weaving from side to side, and my speed changes. I've had a couple of close calls, and the various treadmill fail videos are much on my mind. But maybe it's like many other things, hard at first and gets better with practice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love yet hate the treadmill. I can handle it for about 5-6km, but after that I am done. I do really like it if I am doing a HIIT workout though. But, the treadmill is super handy for the cold days and for the days you can't take A outside

    ReplyDelete
  3. You may inspire me to dust off my treadmill! But where would I put all the junk that has collected on it??

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!