Saturday, March 2, 2013

~Audrey's 1st Birthday Party~

After all the planning, preparations and celebrations I can share the details of Audrey's 1st birthday party! I chose the theme "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" because is her favourite song; we sing to her before she goes to sleep and it calms her when she is fussing. Also, Audrey is our "little wish come true" so stars seemed fitting in more ways than one.

I gathered many ideas on Pinterest and put them on a First Birthday Party board. I also borrowed many ideas from The Domestic Project who planned a party of the same theme. Many thanks!!

Of course I decided to make January a no-spend month so while I gathered ideas, I didn't actually buy anything other than the actual invitations since I knew I couldn't wait for those. If I had thought about this, I would have bought as much star stuff I could find over Christmas but alas I didn't think about this until it was too late and there wasn't much left.

So really I planned this party in 3 weeks. Normally that would seem like a reasonable amount of time but with a baby it was tough! Every spare minute I was researching something, baking something, running to the store, crafting, burning myself and cursing my need to go over-the-top.

I will let the pictures tell the story!

Decorations

I only had to cut out a million stars! I used fishing line or ribbon to hang them all.
Hanging stars & First Year slideshow 




A million hanging stars
Star wands


There were many stars twinkling from the ceiling.




I knew taking those monthly birthday pictures would come in handy! I'm so happy with how this turned out.
Birthday banner and monthly photos


Birthday wishes from the guests were written in this book Twinkle Twinkle Little Star at the entry way.




The 'starry' alcove



The wreath on the door was made from a cheap dollar store Easter wreath. I cut off the Easter eggs, glued on a whole bunch of stars and added the "1." I think it turned out pretty good for $2!
Door wreath
 The Food

I found a yummy non-alcoholic punch on Pinterest. I also had an old star shaped ice cube tray stashed away that was perfect for the party!



Sweets table
I made these delicious shortbread cookies earlier in the week. My best friend and I made a couple batches at Christmas time together and this was the perfect excuse to make them again, in star form!

Shortbread cookies
I just added some colour to the icing and some silver sprinkles on top.

The surprising hit were the Star Rice Krispies. I used this recipe but made the stars using this technique.  I drizzled melted chocolate on them instead of the sprinkles. While they were super easy to make, they were quite time consuming. Good thing I also made these ahead of time and froze them.



A few days before the party I had a panic attack that the cake I was planning on making wouldn't be enough! I decided it would be better to have more than not enough so I made cupcakes as well. I cheated and used a box mix (I wanted something easy!). I did use the same Swiss Meringue Buttercream icing that I used for the cake though.

Oh look- more stars!
In the end, there was more than enough cake for everyone so the cupcakes were not necessary. I'm glad I made them though- I just started giving them to guests as they were leaving and sent some to hubby's work the next day!

The cake had me all kinds of nervous! I'm not very experienced as a baker- I had never made a cake before except for my disastrous DIY cake smash photo shoot cake (I still need to share those pictures! It was lots of fun!). Even hubby thought I was getting a bit in over my head when I showed him the icing recipe. I really wanted to do it though so I just gave myself enough time to go to plan b if it flopped.


I followed the recipe for Sweetapolita's Rich and Ruffled Chocolate Celebration Cake and Swiss Meringue Buttercream. It was a-mazing! Melt-in-your-mouth fabulous! Everyone raved about it-- so moist, light, chocolate-y but not overly rich. The buttercream was smooth and not too sweet like most icings are. People were asking me to make their birthday cakes!

I can't take 100% credit for the cake as hubby helped construction it. He has a little more experience with cutting cakes so the layers fit and doing the crumb coat so I recruited him for that. The rest was all me! For a non-baker I am quite happy with myself!

I did a rose piping technique which is like the cupcake swirl but all over the cake. Super easy and hides imperfections very well. Luckily I have a few friends who are avid cake bakers so I asked them a million questions and one supplied me with a bunch of tools so I didn't have to go out and purchase them.



The Party

Many friends and family came to help celebrate Audrey's big birthday!

Audrey and her boyfriend Dane
Such a cutie!
Audrey & Mommy
Audrey & Daddy
Audrey & L
Audrey & Cousin Olivia
Audrey & Great- Great Auntie Shirley
(She was done by this point!)
Audrey & Auntie K

 Time for Cake!
 "Happy Birthday to you..." 





Presents!

Audrey wasn't sure what to do with all the presents but she had an excellent helper- 2 year old Janie! Good to know that next year she will be more into it!










The Birthday Girl

She is so hard to photograph these days! Always wanting to move and forget about looking directly at the camera!


Star tights
(that were too big!)






Studying the Stella & Dot catalog
Daddy, you are in trouble!



See this beautiful headband? This is from my hero Alison! I ordered a headband from Etsy at the very beginning of February and a couple days before the party I realized that it hadn't arrived yet. I contacted the seller and she assured me that she sent it out 2 weeks prior. Looks like Canada Post lost it :( I mentioned my dilemma to Alison and she offered to help me out and make one. I don't know how I got so lucky to meet such a kind, generous and sincere friend! It makes me tear up at how special she is.

Thank you Alison for the sweet gift! It added the perfect touch to Audrey's birthday outfit.




That sums up Audrey's 1st birthday party! It was a blast and I am so happy so many friends and family could help us celebrate this day. I still can't believe she is one!

9 comments:

  1. The cake looks like it was delicious! Plus it was so pretty.

    It looks like everyone had fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That cake looks sooooo yummy! Good job on the decor and everything - it looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow everything looks perfect! You did such a great job. Want to come plan Liam's birthday party? I feel like I should start planning now for it to be that good! Haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, Audrey and Dane are so stinkin cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like your hard work paid off! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love how everything turned out! You did such a great job. Love the headband that Alison made as well. She sure is a great friend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy moly. You are incredible. I love it all. The cake is amazing!!!! I love all the decorations!! The stars were worth it! Save them for her next birthday!! ;) everything is perfect. So glad the headband worked, it looks so cute on her. You are sweet! I'm just glad I could help. :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. All your hard work paid off. Audrey's first birthday looked perfect and so fun! She is going to love looking back on her star themed birthday one day. And that cake? WOW WOW WOW. It does look like it's professionally made and I can only imagine how delicious it was. Good job to you and Happy Birthday to your adorable little Audrey!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It all looks fantastic! I know how much work it is and you did a great job! And the cake looks amazing! Looks like Audrey had fun too. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!