Monday, March 4, 2013

~Back to the office~

Today is my first day back to work after maternity leave.

It's a bittersweet day.

I am beyond thankful that I had the opportunity to take a year off from work, partially paid, to spend with my daughter. I try not to take this for granted, especially when I am feeling down about returning to work since I know many women have to return much earlier than I do.

There is going to be an adjustment period while we get used to our new routine. Audrey spent a couple days at the day home last week to ease her into the transition. I cried the first day I dropped her off but she did great! The hardest part is going to be getting her to nap during the day but I'm sure it will come in time.


The other children at the day home adore her. The day home provider sends me pictures and videos throughout the day to let me know that Audrey is doing well. The other children just love to make her laugh, kiss her feet and play peek-a-boo. She is so happy to see me when I pick her up though.

Luckily for me, hubby will be doing the drop offs the majority of the time. I work really early in the morning and this way I can pick her up earlier in the afternoon. It was so hard for me to leave her on that first day so I am glad I don't have to do that every morning!

I am hoping it won't take me too long to get into the swing of things at work. I'm sure it will all come back to me but right now my brain is still focused on baby stuff. I'm sure plenty of things have changed since I left. It's almost like starting a new job.

I am trying to focus on the positive things of going to work everyday- drinking hot coffee, eating breakfast and lunch uninterrupted, dressing up, talking to adults about something other than baby related topics, not having to clean up messes every 5 minutes, meeting friends for lunch, time to myself while I commute each day, more money, etc.

Even though I won't be spending every waking hour with Audrey, the time we spend together will be quality time. I will try to not focus on anything else but being with her. Some other areas of my life might suffer a bit (blogging? working out?) but hopefully I will find a balance between work and home life quickly.

I am quite worried that I won't be able to workout as much as I have been. Exercising and staying fit is very important to me but so is my mental health. At the very least I need to get my runs in, especially since I have a race coming up in 3 weeks. I know I am going to be extra tired since I have to get up at 5am and Audrey still wakes up at least once a night. Maybe she will magically learn to sleep through the night? Doubtful but a tired mama can wish!

To celebrate/ease the pain of my return to work I bought a new pair of shoes! I have been dreaming of a pair of nude pumps forever and I finally found the perfect pair! I can't wait to wear them! I just hope I can remember how to walk in heels! They are a bit high!


Nine West Rocha

If you returned to work after maternity leave, how long did it take you to adjust to your new routine? 

Have you treated yourself to anything new lately?

9 comments:

  1. I went back to work really early (6 months at first, then we had a month off as a family, and then officially back at 8 months). It didn't take me long to get adjusted to the new routine. I am responsible for all drop off and pick ups so my usual before/after school routine has definitely changed! Since Max goes to bed at 7pm these days, the 4pm-7pm evenings go by way too quickly. I do not get to go to the gym as much as I would like. *But* the days are getting longer, so at least Max and I will be able to resume our evening walk/runs/going to the park soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope your transition back to work goes smoothly! Love those shoes :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope your first day back to work goes well :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck back at work. I can't imagine how you are feeling. I'm already dreading the day I go back to work. It's not until September but I am not looking forward to being away from Liam all day, plus trying to fit in workouts, cleaning, cooking, and everything else. I wish I could afford to stay home :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope it goes ok! I would have cried too. Good choice on the shoes! You are going back in style!! You will figure out a new routine in now time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tear!! My turn is coming all too soon as well :-( I hope it gets easier for you quickly. Where did you end up finding your shoes?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute shoes!! I bet going back to work is hard but I'm glad that Audrey likes her day home and it's awesome that you can start work early and leave earlier in the afternoon to have more time with her!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope your first day went well and that the first week is much easier than you anticipate...good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You will get used to it! And she will too!! And it gets easier every day!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!