Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Run for L'Arche: Training Recap #9 & Preparing for Race Day



Race Day is upon us! Only a few more days and we can put all our hard work to test!

My training was once again light this past week. It's not ideal and definitely not something that I am happy about but it is what it is.

Monday 11th: Rest
Tuesday 12th: 5K outside by myself! Yay daylight savings time!

Wednesday 13th: 4K on the treadmill
Thursday 14th: Rest. I had to pick my mom up from the airport at dinner time. Once I got home I had lots of packing to do to prepare for our weekend away so no time for a workout.
Friday 15th: Rest again as we headed to Fernie right after work and didn't arrive until 9pm.
Saturday 16th: Rest unless you count an hour of window shopping on Main Street in Fernie (I don't!).
Sunday 17th: I was supposed to do a 6K taper run but I didn't even manage to squeeze that in. I vacuumed the house from top to bottom so that must count for something?

Preparing for Race Day

At this point most of your training should be done. Now is not the time to add another long run or some speed workouts. The week of the race is about preparing your body to push it to it's limit so you want it to be rested and in tip top shape.

Here are some of the things that I do the week of the race to prepare myself. It's not an all-inclusive list and some things that work for me might not work for others.

1. I don't eat anything new or that could bother my tummy. Last thing you need before a race is GI issues.
2. Drink lots of water in the days leading up to the race.
3. Eat healthy and try to keep treats to a minimum
4. Set race goals (see below)
5. The day or two before the race I lay out my possible race outfit options. I usually make the decision the morning of depending on the weather since it can change so quickly in this city.
6. Pack my race bag the night before- include my Garmin, sunglasses, water bottles & belt, nutrition, shoes, change of clothes, race bib & safety pins or belt, directions to the race, and warm clothes for before the race if required. Make sure my Garmin (or other watch) and iPod are charged!
7. Get a good nights rest the 2 nights leading up to the race

My Race Goals

I've been thinking about my goals for this race and I think most importantly I need to make sure I have a good time and finish with a smile on my face. It's been a tough few weeks for training and with all the changes going on right now in my life it's best to just enjoy this race rather than pressure myself to a time goal. Running is my happy place!


Anything special you do to prepare the week of a race?
Do you always set race goals or race for fun occasionally?


5 comments:

  1. I usually rest up with only a small shake out run or two of 5km, and drink lots of fluids. Most races I have had goals but a few have been fun races!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't set any goals either for this race since I am using it as a training run. Looking forward to it though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually have a pasta dinner the night before and usually I get everything ready and lay it out on the guest bed so that I know I have everything. That is about it :-)

    I have a standing goal for 5K's of doing sub-30's....but usually it is a "just finish and not throw up"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope it's a decent day for you!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have my fingers crossed for nice weather!! Good luck, and have fun!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!