Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Next big thing...

Now, more than ever, I need a race on the horizon to keep me active.

After running 2 halfs in 2 months, I've decided to pull back and run the Calgary Jugo Juice 10K on May 26th. I'm still part of a half marathon clinic but I think I need to focus more on speed rather than distance right now.

I also need to take care of this IT band and calf issue that has been bothering me for the last two months. The last thing I want is to be sidelined with injury so I think sticking to shorter runs is a good idea.

I found a 10K training plan from Runner's World and one of Hal Hidgon's that I have adapted (like switched it into kilometers!) to suit my schedule and goals.

Now if I could just figure out how to post my training plan into Blogger that would be great!
It's on a spreadsheet in google docs- any tips on how I can insert it? Copy and pasting isn't working properly. I suck at technology! ;P

Ideally, I would LOVE to run a sub 60 minute 10K. Based on the McMillian Running calculator, with my recent half marathon PR of 2:15 I could achieve this. It's going to require a lot of hard work (aka speed work) and pushing myself beyond my comfort zone but I think I can do it.

I did this race 2 years ago just before I found out I was pregnant and I got my 10K PR. The course has since changed but it is still fairly fast and flat. Hubby is doing the half marathon distance, Leigh is doing the marathon and it is the goal race for the half marathon clinic I am part of so I know lots of people who will be racing that day.



Bring on the 10K!!

8 comments:

  1. Hopefully this time we can actually see each other at the race!! Well I will be done a long time after you and J. With some speed training, I have no doubts you can pull out a sub 60!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I post my training plan using Google calendar on the "Run" tab on my blog - plus then it reminds me on my iphone what is up the next day :) and it's super easy to embed the calendar into blogger.

    I'm in the 10k that day too - with the same sub 60 goal, but am using a modified 10k "Own it" plan from train like a mother. I might still have the pdf if you wanted to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. how fun to have races planned - definitely needed for motivation! I'm excited to train and run races again!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will be there cheering for Leigh and my bro's GF Jolie is doing the half there too for her first!! So I will cheer for you too!
    I have no idea how to get the calendar in there.. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. You should totally be able to do the 10k in under 60 with that half time!! :)
    We have been looking for some shorter races to do before Seawheeze too

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can do it!!

    I'm going to try and do a 60 minute 10K in May - which means I should probably get my tooshy in gear!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with the race! It's always good to have something to motivate yourself.

    I know how frustrating injuries are - I hope you get yours figured out sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My 1/2 marathon pr (the only one I've ever done) is 2:24 and I ran a sub 60 10K not long after that, so I'm sure with a 2:15 1/2 you'll have no problem getting a sub 60! I hope your training goes well, and you get those injuries figured out- such a pain in the butt!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!