Monday, April 22, 2013

~What I did this weekend~

Aka the weekend of never ending puking and poop.

Friday I worked for an hour. Poor Audrey was off and on sick most of last week. I went to work in the hopes that she would be better when she woke up but hubby called me not long after I arrived to say that she was indeed still sick (aka diarrhea) and it was my turn to stay home with her.

I called Health Link to see if I should take her to the Doctor but they assured me that there was nothing to be concerned about unless she had 4 days of fever and diarrhea/vomiting.

There were lots of cuddles and attempts to get her to eat. She ended up having a really long 3.5 hour nap and so did I! Usually I rush around during nap time but after an exhausting week I decided to take a nap as well. It was glorious! I wish I could do that every day!

Thankfully in the late afternoon she was feeling a bit better so we ran a couple errands.

Things were looking up.

Saturday started off early with Audrey waking up Daddy at 6:30am. Lucky me, I got to sleep in until 8am! Audrey seemed to be feeling better- playing and eating as usual. We struggled a bit getting her down for a nap but once she was down I did Level 3 of the 30 Day Shred and did some chores.

In the afternoon, we went to Mary's 1st birthday party. It was great to catch up wit friends we haven't seen in awhile and of course, celebrate Mary's big birthday.

Princess Theme

Unfortunately, Audrey's rumbling tummy returned and she was back to feeling sick. She didn't want to eat much dinner and you could just tell she was uncomfortable. When I was putting her to bed, she ended up puking all over herself and me. Gross!

I think I did 100 loads of laundry this weekend. Never ending!

Sunday we had to miss our group run... guess why??? More puking! This time on the couch. FFS! It was a tough day as Audrey didn't feel well and I had a hard time accomplishing anything. Finally she started eating so I was able to do some baking.

I made 2 muffin recipes that I have made before but I modified them. For the zucchini & carrot muffins, I used coconut oil instead of vegetable oil and gluten-free flour instead of whole wheat flour. I also didn't put nuts in them since the day home is nut-free. They are pretty dense muffins as it is so I didn't notice much difference with the ingredient changes. Audrey loves these muffins and I knew she was feeling better when she gobbled 2 of them up. To be honest, I don't like these muffins but that's probably a good thing since I don't have to worry about eating them all!

I also made these Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins. I substituted the butter for coconut oil (I bought a big container at Costco), chocolate chips for carob chip (OMG I love them!) and gluten-free flour for all-purpose flour. I was a little worried these wouldn't turn out since they are way denser than normal. They also started to brown on the top way before the middle was cooked which is probably because of the coconut oil. Surprisingly, they taste pretty good! Hubby was shocked that they are gluten-free since they are still pretty cake-y, moist and don't fall apart like other gluten-free muffins we have tried. They definitely aren't as good as the original recipe but for a gluten-free version they are delicious!

Zucchini & carrot (left); Banana Chocolate Chip (right)

We decided to run some errands in the afternoon since Audrey seemed to have perked up but the diarrhea struck again. Poor kid can't catch a break!

After dinner, once Audrey was in bed and all my chores were done (or the ones that absolutely needed to be done), I finally sat down and relaxed.

Well-deserved!
Let's hope this week is better all-around.


**Sorry for all the poop talk- it was a shitty weekend!

Do you bake with gluten-free flour?

14 comments:

  1. Ugh. Sorry you had a rough weekend. Hope she feels better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Max had lots of diarrhea last week - but only one case of vomit comet - all over the car seat (grosssss). Of course it happened in the car that broke down on me on thursday, so the car was broken and smelling like nasty. He also had a cough AND teething. Fun Fun. I stayed home on Tuesday and P stayed home on thursday

    We called our telephone health care people and they said the same thing - nothing but honey, fluids and steam rooms. He had no fever either.

    Yay sick babies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I use a mix I tend to stick with bobs red mill for more savory things an Pamela's ultimate bakin and pancake mix for sweeter things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And there's a carrot cake using the "bakin" mix that is really good. Heather recommended it to me and it was a hit at easter dinner (Jordan had 2 pieces and he never does that with GF things)

      Delete
  4. Add a "g" on bakin! But yours look good. I might try some!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor girl!! I hope she feels better really soon! :( Those muffins look so tasty! I love muffins!! We saw your hubby at home depot! :) Glad you enjoyed some wine!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh poor A! Hope she is feeling better soon

    ReplyDelete
  7. I already seem to do a billion loads of laundry and I don't even have a kid yet. I'm afraid for when that time comes. And I think my washing machine is afraid too.

    I haven't yet used coconut oil...does it change the flavor of what you make at all? I know that coconut butter does a bit, and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have tried a few gluten free flours, some I do not mind but others I am not a fan of. Coconut flour is one I cannot get used to the texture. I hope A is feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Poor baby! I hope she is feeling better. I have baked with with gluten free flour before. I don't mind it, but some people don't like it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aww poor girl! Hopefully she's feeling better today!
    I bake with gluten free flour quite often since my MIL has celiac. I find sometimes the result is awesome, other times it can be totally nasty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. that stinks that she was sick most of the weekend!! those muffins both sound great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your poor little girl - hope she is feeling better. Your muffins look amazing - I am going to be baking some this weekend if all goes right and mine will definitely be gluten-free. If you ever need some gluten-free ideas - just let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  13. 3 Researches PROVE Why Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

    The meaning of this is that you literally burn fat by consuming Coconut Fats (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 researches from big medicinal journals are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world around!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!