Tuesday, July 2, 2013

~ What I did this Canada Day Long Weekend ~

What a busy and beautiful long weekend!

I am requesting a do-over since some how Hubby's work got the 'no-weekend' memo and not the 'long weekend' memo- he had to work every single day :( Poor guy is getting so burned out. He hasn't had a day off in about 3 weeks.

Friday was a low-key night. I forced myself to go for a run after Audrey went to bed since I had missed a run the night before as I had a hairdresser appointment. It was hot out but there was a nice cool breeze that made the run bearable. I'm so not used to running in this heat!

Saturday we decided to accompany Hubby around town while he made some calls for work. He's been so busy the last few weeks and with the flooding that we have barely seen him. We thought this would be a good way to get in some family time. Bad idea! Initially he was supposed to be done around 12:30 pm but something came up and he wasn't done until 3:30 pm.

Audrey and I tried to keep ourselves occupied by going to the park close by. Unfortunately we didn't think to bring the stroller with us so I had to carry her around, plus the diaper bag. It was super hot out and while I remembered to put sunscreen on Audrey, I didn't put any on  myself and got a nice burn on my shoulders. The bugs were horrendous and I have a million mosquito bites.

Audrey had a great time, even if I was exhausted chasing after her!

She loves dandelions!
Poor kid was so tired- she fell asleep in the car and didn't stir when I transferred her to her crib. I collapsed with exhaustion on the couch and had a long nap. When I woke up just before 6pm, Audrey was still asleep! Hubby had to wake her or else she would have been up all night.

Sunday morning we met up with our running group. Yay 2 weeks in a row! We are on a roll here! Even at 8:30am it was super hot out. The group was doing 7K but I'm already behind on my long runs for SeaWheeze so I convinced Penny, who is also doing SeaWheeze, to run an extra 3K with me to get 10K in. I was so sweaty once we were done. Yuck! I don't know how you people run in the heat all the time!

Hubby had more work to do, so Audrey and I spent the afternoon trying to keep cool in the backyard. I filled her little pool with water but she was more interested in running around the backyard getting into trouble. She just wanted to prune the garden and play in the dirt. Our backyard is east facing so it's full sun during the day. We have a small umbrella that sticks in the ground but I couldn't for the life of me get it in the ground so I had to hold it between my legs! At one point a gust of wind came and blew it into the neighbors backyard!

Shovel for digging in Daddy's garden
Pulling out herbs
Plucking the chive flowers


Eating watermelon to stay cool
My mom came over for dinner which was nice. We had a fire after Audrey went to bed and made s'mores. Yum!

Monday was Canada Day. Hubby had to work in the morning and once he got home we headed out for some festivities. It was a super hot day, 30 C. We slathered on the sunscreen and went to a nearby city to celebrate.

The one park had lots of dog activities going on- an agility event, and weight pulling (never heard of that one before). There were so many dogs there. Audrey loved running around and playing at the playground.

Serious girl






Later on our friends joined us with their kids. We headed over to another park that has a small train you can ride. The kids LOVED it.

Train in the distance

Waiting for our train

Sitting in the engineer's chair

Watching the train come in



Family picture

Riding the train
Poor Audrey was so tired from all the activity and missing her nap. She feel asleep during the short train ride.

Sleepy baby
Since it was super hot, we stopped at Menchie's before heading home.


Our friends came back to our house for a BBQ. We did it backwards- dessert first, dinner after! The kids continued to play while the parents relaxed. We hung out in the backyard which was mostly shaded by that time.

Audrey kissing C

K playing 'on' the sandbox
It was a full weekend. I wish hubby didn't have to work so much but I'm glad we got to spend lots of time together in spite of that.

Now it's back to work. I wish I could take the summer off. Sigh.

6 comments:

  1. Busy weekend! That sucks your hubs had to work so much. It was super hot here this weekend too and our house does not have a/c. It has been making me feel quite lethargic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Busy weekend!!! That sucks for J having to work so much!! :( I hope he has some holidays soon!! I LOVE Audrey's bathing suit!!!! SO cute!! She is so big and busy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love her little bathing suit! I have that one in yellow :) Sounds like a great weekend. I agree I wanted to be a teacher when I was younger so that I could have summer off. Still kinda wish I was.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boo for J having to work all weekend - that really sucks, what kind of job does he have?

    I like both A and your Canada Day outfits!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The bugs are TERRIBLE this year eh?

    What town did you go to? Looks like you had a fun day! John had to work too but he went in the afternoon while the kids napped. Which worked out well because we were out at 9am and the weather wasn't too hot yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad that you were able to spend some time with J even if he had to work a lot this weekend! I love A's backpack...she looks so cute with it on!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!