Tuesday, January 28, 2014

~Baby #2 Update~

Last Thursday, I had my prenatal appointment with the midwives. Of course, my main concern was finding out if baby was still breech or not. The midwife and the student both checked me and said there were signs leading to baby still being breech but there were still a few signs that he wasn't.

They suggested going for an ultrasound to confirm his position. If he was breech, they had a few suggestions (pulsatilla, moxibustion & acupuncture) to help make him flip but there was no sense in doing them if he wasn't actually breech.

On Friday morning, hubby and I went for the ultrasound. I had a sneaking suspicion while we were driving there that he was breech since I could feel his head in my ribs again.

Sure enough, the ultrasound confirmed he is breech. The tech also took a bunch of measurements, we saw he is practicing breathing which is great but he was pretty shy and wouldn't let us have a good look at his profile. From what we could see, he looks like Audrey.

We had to wait awhile for the doctor to come give us the results. When the doctor finally came in, she said the baby is measuring small for his gestational age and they would like us to go for an ultrasound early this week at the maternal fetal clinic which specializes in pregnancies.  They would be able to determine if the baby is in fact smaller and if there are any issues with the placenta that would be a possible cause. The doctor said if the baby is small then we need to look into transferring care to an OB and possibly have a csection sooner rather than later.

Our initial thought was that Audrey was a small baby (6.5lbs, five days over due), I was a small baby (5.5lbs full term) and my mom's babies were all under 7 lbs. After further thought and a phone call from one of my midwives, they probably wouldn't be sending us for a special ultrasound if the baby is only measuring a week or two behind. That is perfectly normal and acceptable. I measured behind with Audrey a week or two towards the end.

It's hard not to panic and stress about what could possibly happen, especially since we won't have any information until the more thorough ultrasound, which is now booked for Tuesday (today).

Needless to say, I spent the weekend organizing and buying the essentials for the baby and nursery, just in case we have a baby this week or next. I'm sure hoping not but if they determine he is better off outside than in we will do what we have to do. Thankfully he is full term now, although I'm not sure if they would still consider him a preemie due to his potentially small size.

And people were saying this baby wouldn't need newborn sized clothes! Apparently he took offense to those comments...

So please send lots of chunky monkey and flipping vibes so this little guy gets the message that it's not time to come out yet!



This is supposed to be my last week at work. Wonder if I will make it...


8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fingers crossed for today!! Let me know how it goes!! Come on baby co-operate!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking of you today!!! Flip and fatten up baby!! Let me know how it goes!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinking of you all today! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thinking of you! Hopefully everything ends up going as planned :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fingers, toes, legs, eyes, crossed!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope everything went okay today and that the little guy stays put and fattens up before he comes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck. Flip baby, flip!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!