Thursday, March 20, 2014

.:Leo: 6 Weeks:.



I know I say it every time, but how is it possibly 6 weeks since Leo was born? It seems like yesterday, yet months ago! I feel like I was pregnant eons ago. I want to cry at how fast time is going by. Every day the little man changes!

Eating: Leo is a pretty good little eater. We feed on demand so anywhere from 1-3 hours during the day. His feeds are getting shorter and shorter which means he is getting more efficient. As much as I love the breastfeeding cuddles, it's nice to not be tied to the couch for so long.

Sleeping: We moved Leo to his crib in his room at just over a month for night time. He usually wakes every 3-4 hours for a feed. Lately I've been falling asleep in the recliner with him so by the time I wake up it's almost time for his next feed! I usually end up bringing him into our bed around 3-4am. He has a harder time falling back asleep at that point and I'm desperate for sleep since I know I have to be up in a couple hours for when Audrey wakes up. I'm hoping he starts sleeping for longer stretches at night soon. I'm debating trying him in a swaddle sack since he's not a huge fan of being swaddled but if I could swaddle his arms after he is asleep he might sleep longer.
Naps are still anywhere- swing, bouncy chair, my arms, or car seat if we are out. His awake periods are getting longer- sometimes he is awake for an hour+. His naps are still all over the place in duration- ranging from 30 minutes to 4 hours. I try to discourage the longer ones because I want him to do those stretches at night, not during the day, even though they are nice!

Caught a sleeping smile!

Diapers: Newborn size but only until we use up this box and he will be on to size 1s. I'm also planning on cloth diapering pretty soon. Just need to get around to stripping them (cleaning them really well) since I planned to do that before he was born but as we know, he came early.

Weight/Size: We were supposed to have Leo's 6 week midwife appointment today, our last before being discharged to the family doctor, but Mother Nature had other plans and sent in a huge blizzard so we postponed the appointment for another 2 weeks. He hasn't been weighted since he was 2 weeks old so I'm dying to know how much he weighs now since he's getting chunky! I decided to just weigh him at home on the scale with me (I really wanted to avoid the scale for myself but it wasn't as horrible as I thought) to get an idea and he weighs close to 10 lbs, with clothes & diaper on. My scale isn't digital so it doesn't show ounces but it at least gives me an idea of how much he weighs.
His first appointment with our family doctor is next Friday so we will find out his weight & length.
While he hasn't grown out of most of his newborn clothes, I've put most of them away since they are getting smaller and his 0-3 month wardrobe is much bigger. I was getting a bit bored of the same 7 sleepers and he has so many cute clothes in his closet!! I'm a bit sad that my tiny newborn is getting so big though.

Hair and eyes: His hair seems to be getting a bit darker and the bald spot on top of his head is filling in. His eyebrows which were blond at birth are getting darker also- it looks funny, almost like dirt on his face! Maybe he won't be as fair as I thought he might be. His eyes are still a beautiful vibrant blue but they could stay that way for months before changing, if they do.

Personality: Leo is pretty relaxed most of the time. Hubby keeps saying he is so much more laid back than Audrey was at this age. For the most part I think he may be right but he does have his moments of not being content in his swing or bouncy chair and just wanting to be held by Mommy. Or maybe he just seems quiet because we can't hear him over his loud sister!

Leo has smiled a couple times at us, we think intentionally. He has a pretty cute smile and I can't wait to see more of it!

Nicknames: Little Man, Munchkin, Mr. Leo, Lovey

Likes: Cuddling, eating, listening to his sister talk to him, looking around, his swing

Dislikes: His carseat (sigh), dirty diapers, being hungry or cold, baths (until he warms up)

My recovery: I've been taking it easy most days, mainly because it is so physically and mentally draining to take 2 children anywhere by myself! We planned to take it easy this week because I was starting to get sore after 3 outings last week. I'm feeling better as of right now. I've been taking Traumeel which is a natural anti-inflammatory and it seems to be helping.
Mentally I am having a harder time. Two kids are so much more demanding than one (or maybe it's just my toddler?Are they all crazy?) and I rarely get a moment to myself. By the time hubby comes home from work and we eat dinner it's too late to do much of anything and I'm usually so exhausted anyway. I did sneak out of the house with Leo one night to the grocery store because I needed to GTFO of the house before I lost my mind.
Hopefully as time goes on things get easier. I definitely miss the ease of doing things when I only had a newborn to care for.
I also think once I feel good enough to workout again I will feel 1000x better! It's always been my stress reliever and something I've done for ME so not having that for the last 6 weeks+ has made it tough.

Big Sister: Audrey still loves her little brother. She has started calling him "Mr. Leo" after hearing me call him that. The other night when I had to put her to bed, I was holding Leo and she said "Love you, Leo!" Just melted my heart! She can be so sweet sometimes!
She is definitely acting like a 2 year old. She likes to test us. Her sleep has completely gone downhill. I think she wakes up more than Leo does! We aren't really too sure what to do. Hubby has been spending many nights in her bed more than ours which isn't good for him and a bad habit for her.

Reading to baby brother

I'm slightly regretting not keeping her in the day home for a day or two during the week, just to give me a break and some more interaction for her. Of course I wasn't planning on having a csection and dealing with that recovery so I'm sure that accounts for why I'm finding it so difficult.

Misc: We've taken Leo to see the Chiropractor a couple times now. We wanted to make sure he didn't have any issues from his birth or being breech, especially since Audrey did have a sore neck when she was a newborn. His neck and pelvis were a bit out- he has a tendency to turn his head left so we want to correct that so he doesn't end up with a flat spot. Happy spine = happy baby!

4 comments:

  1. He seems like such a cute little guy. Haha - I don't know but sometimes boys tend to be more laid back? At least that is what my daycare lady says (she has a boy and two girls and right now the other daycare baby currently screams her head off all day long).

    No, you are not alone - my toddler is pretty crazy most days too. I had to bring my friend's daughter to physio and Max lasted 2 minutes before he went all crazy and ran around the place. That little man has zero patience for waiting.

    I hear you about going a bit a bit stir-crazy and feeling stressed about two. Just the idea of two creates some anxiety for me. But, I'm sure once you are able to run again and this awful winter stops you will feel better :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is just so cute!! Love that smile!!!
    I'm excited for Noah to have more variety with his wardrobe as well!! I already enjoy changing him into clothes for the day and Jammie's at bedtime! Haha. But it's the same clothes soo far over and over, but we are slowly branching out to the bigger size!
    Thats too bad A wakes up more than L!! Knock on wood we haven't had too many bad nights, but I know they are in our future! I love how much more awake they are at this time!
    Is it too late to put A in the day home for next month for a day or two a week?
    I've been soo sore today! Still just on the one side, but I'm guessing it's from doing too much! I tried laying low today. Hopefully tomorrow will be better! Funny how I feel good and then it hits you - even my ankle is telling me I did too much. Luckily the weather has been colder and now I'm more cautious with his outings, as the measles are spreading around in a near by city.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an adorable little smile he has!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love that smile! Could you still put A in the day home a couple days a week? I can imagine how busy it can be and no you time. I feel right now I get no me time so you must be in the negatives!! Glad he is doing so well though. So cute!!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!