Monday, May 23, 2016

~New York City Recap Days 3 & 4~


You can read the recap of Days 1 & 2 in NYC here.

Day 3

Monday started off with the Hop on, Hop off bus. It was a bit of a line up to pick up our tickets. We had pre-bought them online but I'm not sure that saves you anything because it certainly didn't save time!

Finally around 11am we were actually on the bus, headed towards downtown. 


It was pretty windy out but the sun was shining and no rain!



I had to take a picture of a guy installing his air conditioning out his window. Don't drop it buddy!


Times Square and the tkts place to buy cheap last minute day of tickets.


Our tour guide was this cute Asian lady. She told funny stories and made us laugh.


The Hearst Tower, headquarters for a number of media and publication companies. The second half of the building was built 80 years after the first 6 floors, hence the huge difference in construction. The top half reminds me of the Bow in Calgary.



I had to take a photo of the billboard for the upcoming Bachelorette!


Thomson Reuters


Flat Iron building



At City Hall


One of my dear leaders in Rodan + Fields met us for lunch in the Financial District. Lunch was delicious and visiting her was the highlight! It was such a treat to visit with her, share business ideas, and get some local tips about Manhattan.

Plus she is the cutest pregnant lady!


After lunch, we headed to the World Trade Centre Memorial Plaza and Museum.

It was so humbling and moving to be at this exact spot the Towers stood and where the tragedy of 911 occurred. The two pools stand in place of the towers.


Inside the museum, which is actually underground and shows parts of the actual towers.



There were so many artifacts from the 911- peoples shoes, pieces of buildings, a fire truck, pieces of paper from offices, messages from people inside the buildings to their family members. It was so incredibly hard.



It was very emotional and a great tribute to those that lost their lives, those that witnessed it and the emergency responders that were involved. So hard- even almost 15 years later.

We had tickets to the Yankees game so we had to travel to the other end of New York City, to the Bronx. We changed trains at Grand Central Terminal which is as impressive in person as it looks in the movies.

People were running to catch trains, hugging good bye to loved ones, tourists looking all lost and confused- oh, that was us!



We had to go pick up our tickets at StubHub so we walked a bit through the Bronx. It is definitely a different vibe up there. We just followed the crowd of other baseball fans.

Outside the Stadium

Inside the Stadium!



Everyone was given a green NY Yankees hat when they arrived. Good souvenir!


The game was good. I don't follow baseball much (like at all) but it was a good game! I was pretty tired from the super busy day so instead of beer I had coffee! 

To top it off, the Yankees won!

Day 4

Tuesday morning we headed to Central Park for a run! It was a running bucket list item for me to check off!


Stopping for another picture at the Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis Reservoir


Posing with Fred Lebow



Running through Central Park was amazing! So much to see- you barely even notice that you are in the middle of a bustling city centre.


We had these smoothies from Juice Generation a couple mornings. They were so good! I need to make them at home!


We met my friend, Kristin and her little boy, Henry for tea/coffee and scones at Alice's Tea Cup on the Upper East Side. 


Kristin introduced me to R+F so it only seemed fitting to enjoy coffee with her. It was the quaintest little shop, with delicious scones! Henry was so well-behaved! I thoroughly enjoyed our visit and can't wait until the next time we see each other. She has been a great mentor and friend to me which is a big part of why I love R+F!

After our visit, we walked down Madison Avenue to look at all the fancy shops. We ended up going into one- Carolina Herrera. They sell my favourite perfume and my sister had asked me to look for it while I was in New York since it's hard to find now. Imagine our luck when we came across the store and they had the perfume!


We got back on the Hop On, Hop Off bus to do the Uptown tour.



Barnard College at Columbia University- where my sorority was founded in 1897.


Apollo Theatre in Harlem- where the Jackson 5 (and many others) got their start


We visited The Musuem of New York City, the only museum that we visited.


Grand chandelier in the main staircase



Roz Chast exhibit


Back on the Hop On, Hop Off bus we passed by the Guggenheim


After a quick soba noodle dinner, we went to see Les Miserables.



It was outstanding!! I've wanted to watch this musical since I was 12 so to finally see it and on Broadway was pretty epic! It's a sad story but everything about the production was fantastic! Loved it!

On our way back to our hotel, we stopped at McGee's Pub which is supposed to be the inspiration behind MacLaren's from How I Met Your Mother. It was nothing like the pub from the show, the service was terrible and a total tourist trap! So I do not recommend going there! I guess it's a funny story!

Watch out for my recap of our final two days in New York City!

4 comments:

  1. I love these recaps! I went to that museum too. I spent a few minutes in that staircase reading all the quotes. Running in Central park is my absolute favourite!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, reading your recaps just makes me want to go there!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys were busy!! Brings me back to our trip!! GAH! Love this place. The memorial was SO hard to go through, so well done. I think the tour guides for the hop on buses are a riot!! We had such great ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where did you go to college?? This is another thing I didn't do when I went (the hop on/hop off bus) lol. These posts are making me want to go back so badly though! I'm realizing there are so many things I didn't do (or didn't even think to do)! The only museum we made it to was the MET...about an hour before closing, haha!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!