Monday, November 14, 2016

~Currently: November Edition~

I feel like this fall is just flying by! My goal every fall is to stay on top of my to-do list, finish my Christmas shopping and other Christmas preparations like ordering Christmas cards, Christmas DIY, baking and decorating well in advance of December so that I can really focus on the Christmas festivities.  Perhaps it's the balmy weather or laziness but rather than tackling that list, I'll share what I've been up to lately.

Reading~


Jodi Picoult is probably my favourite author. Almost every one of her books holds my attention from 1st to last page, keeping me up way too late at night. However, I found Small Great Things a bit hard to get into. Racism, white supremacy and a newborn death was the theme of this book. It probably took the first half of the book for me to get into it and then I couldn't put it down. It really disturbed me and made me really think about racism in our world. Overall it was eye opening and a good book but it took me a bit to get into it. There was one part in the beginning that the whole book rests on that didn't make sense to me and I had a hard time getting past it. If you have read the book let me know so I can discuss with you!

Watching~



I watched Mothers and Daughters one night when hubby was working late. It was good but had me crying at a few parts. There were a couple characters that had similar looking actresses so confused me at first but overall it was pretty good. 

I've been catching The Crown on Netflix. I've always been interested in the British Monarchy so this is an excellent dose of Queen Elizabeth II's early reign. 


Thinking About~

A year ago we were in Phoenix and Las Vegas enjoying the warm weather and a nice weekend away from the kids while we ran the Las Vegas Half Marathon. This year, we opted to have a staycation instead to relax, do some things around the house and have some day dates.

Plus we have been enjoying amazing weather this November, ranging from 15-20C most of the time. Practically shorts weather! So we have been spending time exploring our own back yard. Who knew we would be riding bikes this late in the year!



We had a picnic at Sandy Beach Park with some family and friends. Daylight Savings Time reminds us that even though it's unseasonable warm, it's still dark at 5:30pm! Didn't stop us from roasting marshmallows.



I have certainly enjoyed this quiet time, sleeping in, slower pace, quality time with my little family. Staycations are so rejuvenating for me that I don't ever feel bad for not going away.

Buying~

I have been on top of my Christmas shopping a bit. Taking advantage of some online sales and a few extra moments at the mall. Although I don't recommend Christmas shopping with children for children- they end up getting their presents early because nothing slips past them anymore!

We also found a painting for our living room and ordered a side table and ottomans. It's so nice to finally be able to use the living room!

Looking Forward To~

All the upcoming Christmas festivities! I love how excited the children get and seeing so many of our friends and family that we don't see often enough.

Eating~

All the Halloween candy. It's pretty much gone though, just in time for all the Christmas baking! My poor waist doesn't have a hope!

Wearing~







What's the best book you have read lately?
Have you watched The Crown?
What do you look forward to the most about Christmas?






5 comments:

  1. I saw Jodi Picoult on TV talking about that book. I like a lot of her books too. It seemed like a really interesting topic so I'm sure I'll read it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read that book yet, but I've heard really good things! Although, I hate when a book takes a while to get into...have you read Happiness for Beginners? I just finished it and LOVED it. Such a great book, and a quick, easy read. I took my copy out at the library so I know it's available there.

    Did your couches come then?!

    I watched that Mothers and Daughters movie with my sister when she visited back in the summer and we really liked it, more than we expected! I find those actor stacked movies can be so hit or miss, so it was nice that that one was actually good. I want to watch The Crown too, but so many shows!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am usually much more motivated to do all things Christmas by this time too but I am blaming the weather for my lack of motivation! Though I think I am close to finishing my shopping.
    I love that you can have a fire and roast marshmallows in mid Nov!
    Your outfits make me excited for work and dressing up again lol. But first I need to do some major shopping and closet re-do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE her books, so that's sad it's not as awesome as her others. I am so excited for Christmas this year as D is so excited already! :) This weather is amazing! I hope it sticks around - wishful thinking. LOVE all the outfits. Excited to see them back!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just finished reading the one for Brie's book club which was cute!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!