Tuesday, February 21, 2017

~Family Day Long Weekend~

Family Day long weekend has always been one of my favourites. Maybe because it's not over a busy holiday like Christmas, or in the summer when everyone is rushing to get out of town. I have fond memories of Family Day when I was a kid. There are so many things to do as a family on this weekend, if you want to participate.

We started off Thursday by going to the Zoo with a friend and her two boys. We haven't seen each other since Christmas and I was planning on spending the day doing birthday party prep but getting outside seemed like a much better idea! It was such a nice day out and we needed to get outside!

Audrey caring for the boys. 



Riding the bear


I am actually not a fan of this big play park because it's so big and I can never keep an eye on both children. It's better now that my kids are older and I know they can get around just fine but I still try to avoid it!

This photo is hilarious- they look like they are trapped but they really were having fun!


Lucky kids even got popsicles!


There were some pretty massive puddles throughout the zoo. Audrey got her pants and feet soaked!


Every time I mention the Zoo Leo says he wants to see the Dinosaur park. Unfortunatley it is closed for the winter and the big Dinosaurs Alive exhibit (with the moving dinos) has left our Zoo for good. He is going to be so sad in the spring when it reopens. For now this Centrosaurus at the entrance to the Dinosaur Park appeased him.


We stopped at the Discovery centre for a bathroom break before heading home and a zookeeper had a snake out! The kids were pretty excited- I was less so. It was a Children's Python and the kids got to pet it.



Friday we spent the day prepping for the birthday party. We put together the goodie bags, and did lots of unicorn and dinosaur baking! Audrey had the day off preschool for Teachers Convention so it was nice to not have to plan our schedule around that.




In the late afternoon we headed to the midwife clinic for another prenatal workout. It was a good one and my legs hurt for a couple days after! The kids were entertained by drawing dinosaurs on a white board while I did my workout!

Saturday we ran errands-- again getting ready for the party. Audrey didn't have dance since it was a long weekend.  I squeezed in a trip to a local baby store since I had received an email saying they were having a big sale over the weekend. I picked up a couple things I had been eyeing.

Sunday was the birthday party! We had a quiet morning relaxing and setting things up before everyone arrived. The kids were so excited!! They loved their Unicorn and Dinosaur theme and having everyone celebrate with them. More details on the party to come.



We took it easy that night. We watched part of an episode of Santa Clarita Diet but gore isn't really our favourite thing so I don't think we will be watching this show. I did enjoy the comedy but the blood and guts was a bit much.

We started watching Riverdale which was entertaining but I only half watched it while I worked on the computer.

Monday we a relaxing day at home for Family Day. The kids enjoyed playing with all their new birthday gifts. Hubby worked out in his workshop while I cleaned up from the party and did some chores around the house.


We went for a nice long walk around our neighborhood.

First a quick stop at the park.


'Cougar' sighting. I'm glad we put the kids in their snowsuits!


Leo was a bit tired towards the end so Daddy's pom pom made a great pillow!


I had a short nap with Leo in the afternoon and then played with Audrey- making stories and colouring. 

I went to Ange's for Bachelor night. I haven't been keeping up with the show on my own and it's always so much more fun to watch with other people than on my own! 

What did you do on the long weekend?
Are you watching the Bachelor? Who are you rooting for?

4 comments:

  1. Their shirts are adorable for the birthday party!
    Why would the dinosaur exhibit be closed in winter? Isn't that one that would make sense to be open since there are no live animals?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that I think about it, I'm not sure if the Prehistoric Park closes every winter or if it is just this winter because the animatronic dinos have left and they need to do some changes to the Prehistoric Park. I know 3 years ago it didn't close over the winter because I had some maternity photos taken there in January- but I'm not sure the animatronic dinos were there at that point? Maybe they were but not turned on since I could see them not working in the cold and snow.
      I could also see them closing it because the pathways are pretty narrow there and would be a bit treacherous with the snow and ice?

      Delete
  2. We haven't been to the zoo in ages. The dino park was closed when we were there last though, it seemed like so much was under construction last time. Can you get to the lions yet?
    Sounds like a busy week though!! The shirts were so cute for the party, where did you get them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sad the moving dinosaurs are gone for good too. Sully's going to be so disappointed come spring when it reopens but none of them move. Or maybe he'll be happy since they always make him cry, haha!! Did you make it to the lions? I love the improvement on the viewing area there.
    Oh no, I'm really enjoying Santa Clarita Diet!! I think I have 4 episodes left. Not every episode is gory and since it's a comedy, I feel like it's not as "real", if that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!