Tuesday, February 7, 2017

~Weekend Recap: Birthdays, Babies & Bad Weather~

Well January is over. We are already a week into February. Being the shortest month of the year it will be over in a blink of an eye!

Rewinding back to Thursday, the kids and I had chiro appointments in the morning, stopped at the craft store to pick up a bunch of birthday party supplies and then we headed to Southcentre Mall to pick up our Baby Box. I haven't been to that mall in years-- probably 5+ years so I completely forgot where everything is. I know it as a week day but it seemed exceptionally quiet also.

So back to the Baby Box. Given that this is my 3rd baby, I have most of the essentials for a newborn but I was very intrigued by this new initiative in Canada, organized by Baby Box Co. My sister-in-law is Finnish and every expectant mother is given a Baby Box by the state filled with essentials for a newborn baby. It was brought about as a lifesaving initiative to provide essentials for newborns, resources for new moms and a safe place for baby to sleep. The box comes with a mattress! My sister-in-law received one even though she lives in Canada. The Baby Box program helped Finland achieve one of the lowest infant mortality rates.


Inside my box contained diapers, wipes, baby samples, coupons, a onesie and a mattress so the box could be used as the baby's 1st bed!


I think the initiative is fantastic and I hope that more baby boxes can be distributed to parents. I found out that were handing out the boxes through an ad on Facebook. I had to go to Baby Box University online to read and watch a few videos on how to care for a baby (specifically the safest ways for baby to sleep), complete a short, easy quiz and bring in my completion certificate to claim my baby box.

Friday we had a quiet morning at home and then we took Audrey to preschool. For once Leo didn't transfer to his bed from the car for his nap so we had some mommy-son time. He happily played while I got a short workout in and did some tidying around the house.


That night I met my sister for dinner at State and Main. I had a Rocket salad which was delicious!! I'll have to try to recreate it at home.

Saturday morning Audrey and I dashed off to dance class while the boys went to Lowes and the grocery store. After dance we ran a few more errands to return a few things and look for some party stuff.

After a quickly lunch at home, we headed to our little friend Cahira's 3rd birthday party! It was held at Gymboree, close to our old house. I hadn't been there before but it was lots of fun for the kids. There was an instructor who led the kids through some songs and activities so it wasn't just a free-for-all play place.

Leo was in his glory climbing up everything and running around.




Birthday Girl!


Parachute time which the kids loved!


The party was tea themed so of course everyone had tea, finger sandwiches, cookies and cupcakes.



Hubby had his annual guys dinner downtown so we dropped him off on the way home. Both kids fell asleep on the ride home- they were tuckered out from all that playing!

I stayed up way too late doing birthday party stuff, some R+F and way too much time on Pinterest.

Sunday morning we woke up to a ton of snow. The kids enjoyed playing on the snow mound they made in the backyard. I made cupcakes in the morning and for once I let hubby sleep in ;)


In the early afternoon I headed over to Leigh's house for Brie's baby shower for Miss Emmy.


She did a book theme and it was perfect! As was the food!!




We spent a few hours chatting which was nice since we usually have little ones running around to tend to. Miss Emmy is the sweetest little girl and just loved all the cuddles.


Isn't she the sweetest??



On the way home I had to stop for gas and at the grocery store to pick up butter! I forgot to add it to the grocery list to make icing for Leo's cupcakes. Then when I went to make the icing my favourite buttercream recipe on Pinterest is no longer available! I found a similar one but I'll modify it next time. 

The rest of the night I played with the kids before bedtime, iced Leo's cupcakes and wrapped Leo's present while hubby worked on the rest of his gift in the garage. 

Meanwhile the snow continued and it's minus a million outside. Oh winter- I'm done with you. Even the kids are asking how much longer until we go to Phoenix.

 

6 comments:

  1. Gymoree is a great place for kids! I went with Amelia a couple of times, but just didn't find the class times worked that great for us. Thanks again for coming on Sunday :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you had a fun and busy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the box idea, my best friend got one too! I wish we had more indoor places to go for kids here, Gymboree looks fun.
    When do you leave to Phoenix? We go in less than 2 weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a busy weekend as always! Glad I got to see you and yes such a treat without kids everywhere! That baby box is cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Busy busy!! What's this years party theme? What did you get Leo?? We struggled with ideas for Noah, but we ended up finding some ideas. But travelling on his birthday was not the smartest!! Haha! That baby box is neat!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for coming to the shower! :) I've never actually taken Sully to gymboree. They just opened up a treehouse not far from my place which I'm planning to take Sully to when my sister is here next week (so that she can run around after him haha!). That's annoying that that recipe was no longer on Pinterest anymore! I hope that never happens to some of my fav meals I have pinned on there! I'm also wayyyy to lazy to make my own buttercream icing. I always just buy it at Bulk Barn. When do you guys leave for Phoenix? Where do you stay when you go there?

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!