Thursday, June 8, 2017

:Henry: The First 2 Weeks:

As to be expected, the first 2 weeks have flown by since the arrival of our little man. 

It has been an adjustment for everyone but fairly smooth given the magnitude of bringing a new baby home, especially for the older siblings. 


I will admit, I was slightly concerned when on our 1st night home (so 2 days old), Henry would only sleep if he was laying on me or Daddy. Every time I put him down, whether it was in the swing, dockatot, bouncer, crib, he would immediately wake up and start rooting. I was worried this meant I was going to have a fussy baby who wouldn't tolerate being put down ever, which of course would be challenging with 2 other children that also require attention.


My wonderful midwife came for a home visit on day 2 and reminded me that Henry is used to be tucked inside all warm and tight and is starting to get hungry since my milk hadn't come in yet. She recommended the "24 hour cure" which I remember being mentioned at some point along my motherhood journey in the last 5 years but my other newborns didn't seem to need it. Basically, you stay in bed for 24 hours with your newborn, only getting up to go to the bathroom. Your meals are brought to you, your baby is changed for you-- your number one job for those 24 hours is to keep your baby close and rest and hopefully your milk will come in quickly.

Of course this requires help and conveniently the older 2 were spending the night at grandparents so hubby was able to wait on us hand and foot. He even take a turn in the middle of the night holding Henry so I could get some sleep where he wasn't laying on me.

Guess what? It worked! My milk came in the next day and Henry was more satisfied after feedings and more content to sleep somewhere other than on my chest. 

When the midwives came back on day 4 to visit us, Henry had only lost 4% of his birth weight, only 4 oz! Yay Henry!! Except I told him to not get too big too fast!! Stay my little baby for a little longer!

One of my midwives, Jeannette and the student midwife, Shannon, who followed along my pregnancy. 



Henry had his first chiropractor visit at 5 days old. His neck seemed a bit sore on the one side. He had a great nap afterwards and his neck seems much better. 

He eats every 2-3 hours, day and night. He is my most alert baby by far at this point. Sometimes he has a really long 3 hour nap but they tend to be more between 30 minutes to 2 hours long. He seems to be more alert in the morning, with some cat naps and then a longer nap in the afternoon. No real routine at this point though. He sleeps in his dockatot at night in bed between us. For naps, he is in his bouncer or in the swing. 




Leo had his first bath at a week old-- hated it! Screamed the entire time. It may have been a bit cold since I'm always so worried I will burn them. Audrey helped bathe him but I don't think she liked how much he cried!



Henry's first big outing was big sister Audrey's dance recital when he was 9 days old. By some miracle, we managed to get 3 kids dressed and out the door for 8:30am. Henry wasn't a huge fan of the loud music at the recital but he was happy to be held by the grandmas. 



Whitney came to take newborn photos when Henry was 11 days old. He was fairly alert for the family portion of the photos but we managed to get some sleeping shots at the end. Whitney worked her magic as usual and took some amazing photos. She is so patient, especially with Audrey and Leo. 


Henry's umbilical cord finally fell off at 11 days which I was super glad about because I find it so annoying to do diaper changes around it. Now the hospital leaves the clamp on for cost saving measures so it's super awkward. Thankfully my midwives cut the clamp off on day 2 so I didn't have to deal with it too long. It can't be comfortable for them!

Audrey and Leo are adjusting well to their new sibling. Audrey wants to hold Henry all the time. She is pretty helpful too-- bringing me things, singing to Henry if he is fussing, or giving him his soother in the car. I would say the change has been harder on Leo. He is definitely a mama's boy so I think he is really feeling the lack of attention from me since I'm so often busy feeding or attending to Henry. He has been acting up more (although he's always been mischievious) and potty training has definitely regressed. He is also starting to drop his nap which means that evening can be challenging if he hasn't napped. I am trying to be patient with him and spend lots of one-on-one time with him so he doesn't feel too left out. He does love his little brother though-- sometimes a little too much so you have to watch that he doesn't try to pick him up or poke him in the face! 



Bed time is usually the hardest part because the kids want to cuddle with each of us but I'm often holding/feeding/trying to put Henry to sleep so that's when we feel outnumbered.

As for me, I feel pretty amazing! It helps that the older kids are still at the day home 3 days a week and hubby has been off work since Henry was born so we are really easing into the transition of 3 children. Physically, I have recovered so well and have to remind myself to slow down and still rest when baby sleeps. Emotionally, I am doing so well. I haven't had any baby blues, other than the 2nd night when I thought Henry would never ever sleep without being on me! The real test will be when hubby goes back to work and I'm with the kids myself all day.  I think I will be able to handle that much better this time around since I don't have the physical limitations of a csection recovery, plus it's spring and gorgeous outside and my other children are older and more independent. 


Henry had his 2 week check up with the midwives today. He is an overachiever and has already gained almost a pound over his birth weight! He's 8 lbs now! Don't grow too fast little one! He is so strong- already lifting his head, and rolling over onto his side. The midwives are thrilled with how well he is doing. 

We also ran into 4 other mamas and babes from our Centering group while at the clinic. It was nice to meet the babies!

I had to snap a photo of the May Births board at the clinic with Henry's name on it.


In some ways, it feels like Henry has been part of our family forever! He is certainly well loved and is smothered in kisses all day long!



We love you, Henry!! 

3 comments:

  1. Audrey looks soooooo big holding him. I'm glad everything is going well so far. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's SO sweet! I am so glad everything is going so well! You look amazing too. That's cool about the 24 hours in bed with him, I had never heard of that before. Glad it worked!! I am excited to snuggle him and hear all about him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soo glad it's going well!!! I'm not ready for Noah to drop his nap! I am putting that off as long as possible, luckily he isn't trying yet, but if he did I would be pushing for quiet time in his room haha!!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!